Tuesday, December 4, 2007

First Blog entry for the last month of the year.

It’s December already. Not too many days left of 2007, but that doesn’t affect my ability to write more blog entries.

I hung out with my friend yesterday for her 29th birthday. We went to watch the “December Boys” on the first movie showing of the day, at 10:45AM. Why so early? We get to watch the movie for 1200 yen(US$10.85) instead of the usual 1800 yen(US$16.25). I thought it would be pretty empty, but I didn’t expect to have the theater all to our selves. I had no objections to that. As for the movie, it was pretty good. But don’t expect anything excellent or out of the ordinary. It’s one of those films based on a book, and I’m sure the book is better than the movie. The use of new motorcycles was bothersome though. All the cars, houses, clothes, etc. were 1960’s, but the motorcycles were blatantly new. Maybe I am the only one that noticed it, but it took away from the movie.

After we watched the movie, we had lunch and walked to the city. We went to a book store where I found some kind of a panda mascot doll chilling at a bookshop.

“Yonda?” means “did you read?” in Japanese. It’s a pun.

Since it’s gotten colder, someone gave the panda a scarf to wear. I was the only one taking the picture of it, but who wouldn’t? At that store, I bought a book about FRP and instructions on how to fabricate FRP car body parts. Just something I am interested in.

Next, we went to a surplus store so I can get the LED flashlight I wanted for my bicycle.

It’s called Fenix L2D Premium Q5. It uses Cree XR-E LED for the light source, which is capable of projecting a blindingly white light. Although the performance of the light itself is much higher than most would ever need, the versatility is the key. The neat part about this flashlight is that it uses a voltage step up circuit so it would work with either 1 or 2 AA. I prefer to use the rechargeable NiMH batteries rather than the disposable batteries, and it helps that L2D performs the same. Rechargeable batteries output lower voltage than alkaline or lithium, and some electronics like MP3 players don’t work. There are other batteries like lithium CR123A(3V per cell) which perform better in all ways, but they are expensive and hard to find. Best to go with the popular AA batteries.

I was quite excited when I purchased the flashlight and I was playing with it all the way to the restaurant where we had dinner together. It’s like a male equivalent of buying new shoes or jewelry, for those that may not understand. After dinner, we went to an “ashi-yu”, where you sit down on a bench and put your foot in the small tub of hot spring. It warms your whole body up, and after about 10 minutes of it, you start to sweat. It’s nice because it’s located outside of the spa place, and it’s free. You meet lots of interesting people there, and they all enjoy talking. My friend and I were talking to a chiropractor, who came a few minutes after we got there, for a good 20 minutes. Maybe more.

The ashi-yu got us thirsty so we hit up Starbucks(yes, there are billions in Japan too) and had something to drink. We talked for an hour or so, and then I parted with my friend to go home. I noticed that the trains in Japan are much quieter than the one I rode from Norwalk,CT to NYC. I bring this up because I remembered my family friend talking about the noise of trains a while ago.

Random tip of the day…

Check out the self myofascial release technique(SMRT). This is a method to loosen up and condition the soft tissues that have scarred or knotted. All you need for this, is a foam roller or a tennis ball. Google “foam roller” and you will come up with bunch of them if you don’t know what they are. You put the roller on the ground, and you lie, sit, whatever, on the roller putting your weight on it. Roll on it until you hit a part that hurts, and then stay there until the pain goes away. Repeat with other parts. Static stretching on its own can’t loosen up the tight muscles, and this will leave you feeling great, while giving you better performance if you work out or play sports.

No comments: